About Mark Erasmus, M.D.
Mark Erasmus, M.D. is a board-certified neurosurgeon with over 30 years’ experience. He came to Gallup, NM 1979 to fulfill a role with the Indian Health Service for 3 years. He spent 11 months studying neurology at Queens Square at National Hospital for Diseases of the Nervous System.
Dr. Erasmus received a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Worcester Polytechnical Institute in Worchester, Massachusetts. He earned a medical degree from the University of Connecticut in Farmington, Connecticut. He completed an internship in general surgery and his residency in neurological surgery at Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine in Norfolk, Virginia. Dr. Erasmus is a member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons and the North American Spine Society. He has been a team leader for eight Heal the Children yearly missions to Guatemala doing pediatric neurosurgery.
• Malignant brain tumors including gliomas and brain
• Benign brain tumors including meningioma’s, pituitary
• Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
• Chiari malformation
- Brain Procedures
- Stereotactic biopsy
- Stereotactic craniotomy
- Gamma Knife
- Endoscopic transsphenoid resection of pituitary tumor
• Disc herniation and degenerative disc disease
• Spondylolisthesis and instability
• Spinal tumors
- Spine Procedures
- Minimally invasive microdiskectomy for ruptured lumbar disk.
- Minimally invasive foraminotomy and/or laminectomy.
- Extreme Lateral interbody infusion for adjacentsegment degenerative disk disease. Dr. Erasmus has been a mentor and instructor for this procedure.
- Medial to lateral lumbar interbody fusion.
- Cervical disc replacement
- Posterior cervical fusion
- Posterior cervical foraminotomy
- Laminoplasty for cervical myelopathy
- Robotic Spine Fusions