Vascular issues can affect so many aspects of our quality of life, without our realizing that our problems are vascular: our ability to stand, to walk, to shop, to climb stairs – to play with our grandkids. Vascular issues can even be the cause organ failure and strokes.
“I can climb stairs again.”
Have you experienced cramping, pain, leg or hip tiredness while walking or climbing stairs? Have you had leg pain that doesn’t quit even when you stop exercise or movement? Have you had leg, foot or toe problems that won’t heal properly?
All of those issues are typically caused by vascular problems. And those are the problems with help patients with every day at NMHI Vascular Services.
“I can play with my grandchild again.”
New Mexico Heart Institute vascular and endovascular surgeons help patients with blood vessel and lymphatic systems conditions (vascular diseases). Their expertise and experience in diagnosing and treating common, complex and rare vascular diseases has changed the lives of so many NMHI patients – for the better.
INDICATIONS FOR VASCULAR REFERRAL
Peripheral Artery Disease
- Cramping, pain, leg or hip tiredness while walking or climbing stairs
- Leg pain that does not resolve when stopping exercise
- Leg, foot or toe ulcers that heal slowly or won’t heal at all, or gangrene
- A history of peripheral vascular intervention
- Abnormal peripheral arterial studies
- A carotid bruit
- Stroke or TIA symptoms
- Abnormal carotid duplex scans
- A history of carotid artery intervention
- A family history of aneurysmal disease
- An abnormal thoracic or abdominal CT angiogram
- A palpable abdominal, femoral or popliteal mass on physical exam
- A previous thoracic or abdominal aortic aneurysm intervention
- Abdominal, descending aortic or peripheral aneurysm
“It had been so long since I was able to play with my grandkids. After my NMHI treatment, I was able to walk at the park.” –Joanna
Our limb salvage team specializes in helping patients with conditions such as acute limb ischemia that could lead to amputation. Our vascular surgeons offer state-of-the-art technology combined with superior expertise and experience to prevent limb removal.
As many as one in 20 Americans over the age of 50 has Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD), a serious disease that is often undiagnosed. PAD results in narrowed arteries, which can block the flow of blood. Left untreated, PAD can lead to amputation, heart problems, and even death. Our surgeons focus on greater diagnosis, medical management and endovascular treatment to reduce the number of amputations in New Mexico.
The sooner you talk to the NMHI Vascular Services department, the better you’ll feel. Because you’ll be able to stop worrying about vascular health issues.
Contact NMHI Vascular Services in Albuquerque at: 505-841-1000
NMHI Vascular Services offers 24/7 access to our highly-skilled, Board-Certified Vascular and Endovascular Surgeons.
- Bothersome varicosities
- Leg pain, aching or cramping, or leg heaviness
- Burning or itching of the skin
- Skin discoloration or skin texture changes (i.e. above the inner ankle)
- Open wound, especially above the inner ankle
- Significant leg swelling
- DVT, unable to be anticoaggulated, needing IVC filter Physicians: Steve Henao, MD, FACC, FACS Richard Wilkerson, MD, RPVI Trent Proffitt, MD Dana A. Booth, MS, MD